September is quickly drawing to a close and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to mention that September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. It is worth mentioning, as cancer in it's many manifestations, is such a pervasive disease that has affected my friends and family directly and indirectly, so I wanted to add my voice to this particular occasion. Sara of Ms Adventures in Italy, Jenn of The Leftover Queen, and Michelle of Bleeding Espresso are asking you to donate to the:
in honor and support of Gina DePalma, author of Dolce Italiano: Desserts from the Babbo Kitchen and Executive Pastry Chef of Babbo Ristorante in NYC, who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. These bloggers have put together a contest to raise awareness and money for this research. Click on any of the 3 sites and you will find all the details for this very worthy cause.Please head over to one or all of their sites for details. A wonderful way to join in the effort to support cancer research.
and then, out of the goodness of your hearts and to be eligible for the O Foods for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month Contest, please do the following:
1. Post a recipe to your blog using a food that starts or ends with the letter O (e.g., oatmeal, orange, okra, octopus, olive, onion, potato, tomato) and include this entire text box in the post;
2. If you’re not into the recipe thing, simply post this entire text box in a post on your blog to help spread the word about the event and Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.
3. Then send your post url [along with a photo (100 x 100) if you've made a recipe] to ofoods[at]gmail[dot]com by 11:59 pm (Italy time) on September 30, 2008.
We will post a roundup and announce prize winners on October 3.
- 1 Recipe Prize for best “O food” concoction: $50 gift certificate to Amazon;
- 1 Awareness Prize for only publicizing event: Copy of Dolce Italiano cookbook.
On another note about contests...
There's still time to get your "Organic Italian soup for fall weather" recipe together and submit it over at "Blog from Italy". Alex has extended the deadline till September 27. To get the details click here. It's a great opportunity to win a subscription to "La Cucina Italiana" magazine, US version.