26 October 2008

Porcini Pin up for today October 08

Ok, so I told a recent guest that the coming of the Chuidino mushrooms meant that is was the end of Porcino(boletus edulis) season. Strictly based on anecdotal information given to me by my in laws, sources of most conventional mountain wisdom. I did say that there might be a few random ones here and there but for the most part the season was done and dusted. But then Dante, my father-in-law came home with these beauties, Friday. after a little hike up to one of his favorite places where the mushrooms grow big and are not easily found unless you know.
Obviously, he knows.
So here are a few photos of what are called "Nero and Bianca" porcini. The red ones being the Nero and the little one the Bianca one. My mother-in -law said these are about 15 days old as you can tell by the look of the "sponge' underneath the cap. Just a little something to tide you over till I get my Slow food photos up and some recipes that are still in progress together.

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Marla thanks so much for your comment on my polenta post!
I spent a long time with your photos - great looking polenta and mushrooms and risotto and what a fun wedding! You are in a gorgeous spot!
I'm adding you to my reader, can't wait to see what you do with those mushrooms!

Bella Baita Marla said...

Ah Tanna, but alas, we were at the Slow Food Salone del Gusto all weekend, so we froze the big guy in pieces to use later for risotto or pasta, which is our usual favorites. When you live in an area abundant with porcini and 2 in-laws with enough time and passion to go hunting and the generosity of those two, then we are very blessed with an abundance of mushrooms that we freeze and dry after we eat them till we pop. Tough life eh?

Anonymous said...

Marla! These are phenomenal! Wish I could cook some up.

Lori Lynn said...

Wow Marla. What are you cooking with those beauties?

creampuff said...

Oh my gosh, Marla! Look at those beauties ... I can just see them sauteeing in olive oil with some garlic ... my mouth is watering!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Magnificent! What are you going to make with those beauties?? Can't wait for more pictures!

Bookmark and Share