15 January 2009

Rib sticking Polenta with Cabbage


The weather has been cold and snowy around here, in case you haven't noticed by the plethora of snowy pictures that have been gracing my blog lately. So if you are looking for something hearty and comforting I think you'll find this will do rather nicely.
This recipe is based on one from the Nonna Genia's cookbook, that I was blathering on about in my last post. I love polenta and always have ever since I was first introduced to it, back in my vegetarian and first days away from home. Polenta here is a northern thing, where I grew up it was a southern thing. Any way I look at it, it is a comforting thing. It is a one of those comfy stodgy recipes that really relies on quality ingredients to lift it memorable fare. I used our local "Frutto Permesso's", organic stone ground heirloom variety,"Ottofile", as the base, along with potatoes from Papa Dante's garden. Savoy was my cabbage choice, since we usually have that type of cabbage all winter from the garden, and I'm rather partial to it. At the moment the snow is too deep to disturb them from their cozy snow bed, and hopefully we'll get to them later on his winter or spring, at least I hope so. I sprinkled a few grains of smoky sea salt that I picked up at the Salone del Gusto this year to give it that special flavor Merjin inadvertently had given it when she made here over Christmas. Fresh grated grana cheese and extra virgin olive oil pulls it all together for the proper finish. I thought I might make it a bit thinner next time, so that it is more of a soup that a gruel, but Fabrizio liked it just as it was, thick and creamy. I had some potato foccacia made that made a nice accompaniment. I will give you a basic list of the ingredients and if you would like more specifics of the recipe, write me and I will send them to you.
You can purchase the Nonna Genia cook book in the states from here.

Polenta al Cavolo

Savoy cabbage
onion
celery
carrots
potatoes
cooked borlotti beans
polenta, coarse grain
salt
olive oil, extra virgin
hard grating cheese


Oh yes and by the way, these are my photos and not theirs, but you could tell that couldn't you!

17 comments:

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

This looks delicious! Just sent the recipe to my parents. What a beautiful place, too! I miss Italy! I lived in Rome for a summer semester in college.

I'm the host/executive producer of the webshow, Mahalo Daily. We recently featured a webisode on speaking Italian - check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNncvXAbRlg and let me know what you think!

Grazie!

-Leah D'Emilio

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Well, Marla I don't know polenta AND potato foccacia that just seems spectacular comfort in all your snow! I like mine thick please.

Rowena said...

I'm doing the snow dance, hoping for another big...uhm...snow dump...because now I have the notion to build an igloo (not a really big one). Polenta is always better at this time of season. We had polenta with cervo ragu not too long ago!

Bella Baita Marla said...

Leah,
Thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately your link doesn't work except when you copy and pate it into youtube, which I recommend doing, as it is very funny and a more entertaining approach to learning Italian.
Tanna, I guess potato focaccia us a bit OTT, but I did forget to mention that I served a big ole winter salad with lots of grated root veggies along with it for a bit of balance.
I thought you were going to get your snow wish yesterday Rowena, but alas sunny today. Cinghiale stew is the norm around here in our house holds as Dante keeps the freezer stocked.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Just right for warming you on a winters day!..I love your header, what view..stunning.

James Higham said...

Those pics are sheer cruelty to those of us stuck over here. :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds amazing Marla. Just the perfect amount of comfort needed at the moment with this wintry weather.

Ivy said...

Marla the pictures are lovely and the food sounds delicious and comforting.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That looks so warming and lovely! And that's another cookbook I want!

Proud Italian Cook said...

That has comfort written all over it! I love your photo's too, with that gorgeous back drop!

Bella Baita Marla said...

Thanks for all the nice comments. Anne thanks, I enjoy that view every day.
James, sorry to torture you.
Val, Ivy and Marie I know all of you know about making great comfort food.
LW, I know about adding yet another cook book to the list.

TorAa said...

Excellent food for the Winter Season.

Gorgious, so to speak.

Have I said:

Happy New Year?

Lori Lynn said...

Oh Marla - this recipe is great and I long to live in the mountains in winter like you.
LL

Anonymous said...

Marla, I'm a big fan of polenta too... my dad made some the other day. He's the big polenta maker in the family! So good especially with the cold and snow.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bookmark and Share