12 April 2008

Insalata di Bresaola and Rucola, the Ultimate Italian Fast Food

Market days are always a dash to the finish to get as many of our "to do" things done before everyone is off home for lunch. We don't go into town everyday and I don't always have myself organized to know exactly what I'm making for our lunch when we get home, which often is late for "normal" lunch time here. Having been in the restaurant business most of my life, I am use to eating at very odd hours. One these occasions some times I love to pull together one of my all time favorite fast foods of Italy, Bresaola, Rucola and fresh shaved Grana Padana cheese salad. It also reminds me that the winter comfort foods are waning although not completely finished on a cold rainy day like today and lighter choices are here to stay
With a spin around the market, all I need are a few slices of Bresaola, some rucola, a hunk of hard grating cheese for slivering on top. Dress with oil and your favorite vinegar and you're there. Easy peasy. If you aren't familiar with Bresaola, it is a lean air cured beef, sliced very thin, like proscuitto crudo, or Parma ham, as it is sometimes called in the US. It is a specialty of Valtellina. You could substitute something else, but it really is an incredibly flavorful meat, if you can find it. The combination of the ingredients are a delicious balance of flavors worth seeking out. It's a handy addition to a buffet as well.
Bresaola Rucola Salad
  • 4-6 slices Bresaola per person (more or less)
  • Rucola (or arugla or rocket, depending on which country you're from)
  • Thin shaved parmesan cheese or pecorino
Lay your slices on individual plates, or a larger platter.
Generously cover with fresh rucola greens.
Shave parmasen over all to taste.
Dress with your most flavorful olive oil and favorite vinegar.
I like a squeeze of fresh lemon and Fabrizio loves balsamic vinegar.

Serve and enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla! We like to have this for a fast and easy supper.:)

Rowena said...

Market days..if the shopping isn't done within those few hours then it's nevah gonna happen until the next market day. Of course there is always my wonderful MotH to get this and that after work.

My eyes are twinkling and wondering if you had this for lunch today. Because if you did, while you were feasting on "our" bresaola from Lombardia we were feasting on "your" tomino piemontese which was wrapped in Trentino speck and heated on the piastra just til melted. That plus a bunch of grilled vegetables. Awesome! I love the simplicity of quick italian lunches.

But wait!! One more thing to mention on the wonderful offerings from your region: Dolcetto d'Ovada. Geez Marla, you guys really do have all the great stuff!

Bella Baita Marla said...

Fast and easy and tasty it is Maryann.

Thankfully for us we have 2 big market days and 2 smaller ones, so that's 4 days of the week covered. I think the tomino and speck needs to be on the next easy peasy menu. We have a woman at the end of our road that makes "the best" tomino, you'll just have to come over and try it sometime!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I love the gradual change to lighter lunches...we had a tuna and bean salad today :)

Have you ever had this combination served over steak? I'm pretty sure there's a name for it but it's escaping me right now. *So* lovely with some balsamic vinegar!

Lori Lynn said...

I think it's the quality of those ingredients that makes it a simultaneously simple yet sublime dish.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds delcious and perfect for the lazy, hazy days of summer coming up:D

Proud Italian Cook said...

Marla, that beats any fast food place we have here on every corner!!
Simple, quality food! So good!
I don't know if its just me, but it took about 10 min to load your blog from my end. :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hello from New York. It's nice to find your blog! I am married to a native born Italain who was born in Calabria. We visited his relatives in Sousa and Torino a few years ago. LOvely part of the country!

I enjoyed browsing through your blog and now I'm famished for soem of the delicious food in your photos! :-)

Ciao!

Pat

Bella Baita Marla said...

I think I'll have to try the steak combo, it sounds divine.
I do also think it's always about the quality of the ingredients and when the preparation is so simple, there is no hiding.
Welcome Pat. You were so close in the Susa valley,we're just over the ridge in lower Chisone. If you find youself in this area again, you'll have to stop in and until then you can travel here from your armchair!

Anonymous said...

Simple, fast and sublime! I wish I'd been there for lunch! :-)

Bookmark and Share