14 February 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins for Your Honey

Nothing says loving, like something from your oven, and something made fresh from your oven will say it best. Yes, those of you from the US and of a certain age, will probably remember this as little jingle that one particular baking company used to hawk their products. It was a memorable one as I can still hear it jangling through my head. Well, I have always maintained that your own scratch recipes are tastier and more memorable than a packet or the refrigerator. This is a variation on my general "go to" muffin recipe that I endlessly vary. I am constantly aiming to make my baked goods more healthy and still be a welcome treat. To that end the results can be varied. This muffin is not overly sweet, moist. comes together easily and is delicious, even after a couple of days languishing in a covered tin. This my version for my funny valentine with whom I am celebrating our anniversary today. And because "nothing says loving, like something from my oven", here is my offering, amore mio. Tiamo tanto!
Hope you love em too.


Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Yields 10-12 medium muffins

Ingredients 

2-3 bananas, medium, very ripe, mashed
1 egg
1/2 c (1/2 bicchiere) oil, I use light flavored olive oil, butter if you prefer
1/2 c (1/2 bicchiere)yogurt, plain 
1 c (1 bicchiere) brown sugar, I used muscovado
1 tsp vanilla if desired
pinch salt
1 c whole wheat or farro flour
1 c white flour, plain or all purpose
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c 1/2 bicchiere) chocolate chips, I used dark chocolate mini chips
Pecans or walnuts would be a nice yet optional addition

Mash your bananas and set aside
In a roomy medium to large mixing bowl, whisk together your egg and sugar till fluffy.
Add the oil, mix
Add the yogurt and vanilla, mix
Combine separately your two flours, baking powder and salt.
Add to the wet ingredients and start to mix lightly. 
Add the chocolate chips and combine until just barely mixed.
Scoop with a ice cream scoop if you have one into pregreased muffin tins.
I have some shallow ones that I like very much for a more compact muffin disk.
Bake at 375*F (190*C) in a preheated oven for about 15  minutes, depending on the size of the muffins.
Serve warm or room temperature. 
Store extra in a air tight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, They also freeze well.

Happy Valentines Day!



No comments:

Bookmark and Share